The main focus of the museum is to preserve and display objects related to Malmbanan. But there are also vehicles, buildings and other objects from other places. One of the ideas behind the acquisition was to be able to view the entire lineages. The museum is designed as the central place for a railway management.
In the yard you will see how the covered wagon was developed from the 50's simpler and smaller wagon into a large wagon with both the opening pages that roof.
If an iron ore wagon has been preserved at all, it is at the museum and all carriages are arranged in proper historical order, from the 1886 25-ton iron ore wagon to the 80-ton trailer which still transports ore from the mines to Narvik and Luleå.
In the museum, there are many types of towing vehicles, steam locomotives, electric locomotives, diesel locomotives and railcars.
The first ore train is an electric locomotive "litt O" lies here and the first ore train locomotive type DM3. Electrification is well represented with a traction power network and self-propelled movement (battery-powered!) Audit trolley for overhead work.
The number of vehicles is about 140 most of which can be shown to the public.
The museum area consist of 10 buildings, from the large newly built hall with four 70m long tracks to the small genuine railway privy.
Gammelstad - Karlsvikshyttans Järnväg
This short path started in 1905 as a private company to provide the newly laid Luleå Ironworks with raw material.
Now it is partly a municipal industrial lines, and a railway museum which is run and managed by the non-profit organisation Malmbanans vänner.
During the summer there are schelduled departures of museum trains. Throughout the year traffic can be arranged on request or at special events.
Take the railcar from 1936 and celebrate the 50th anniversary with a ride in a historic restaurant wagon!
Map of the museum area
The buildings represent an average of the stock in Norrbotten and therefore taken from several locations and are re-erected in the museum area and is divided into the following categories.
Svartöns ställverksbyggnad, Luleå ställv III
Degerbäckens platelayers' hut
Småsel ekonomibyggnad till banvaktstugan
Roundhouse in star form, separate houses and stall place 1
Administration and Workshops
Entrance building: Contains Entrance, exhibition hall, toilets, offices and staff rooms.
Exhibition Hall in brick from 1915: The building was originally a massatorkeri, exhibition in the hall shows the electric drive and electric locomotives.
Exhibition Hall of steel from 2002: The exhibition hall shows the steam locomotives, electric locomotives and special vehicles.
Norrbottens Järnvägsmuseum - Strings of pearls
Nottbottens Järnvägsmuseum presents it's automotive vehicles in a line, which forms "Strings of pearls". Each track consists of some type of a vehicle and the vehicles development for about 100 years.
Other bands shows an operation composed of several different types of vehicles to one effective unit. One example is a train montage for the electrical contact wire or a traction power network for feeding electricity. Another similar feature is snow removal.
The presentation is done with photos and sketches of the museum-vehicles including a descriptive text.